Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Leveled Reading lists - AMAZING SITE  (Read 10395 times)
kizudo
School Age

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »

http://readingandwritingproject.com/resources/book-lists-classroom-libraries-and-text-sets-for-students/current-classroom-libraries.html

This is an AMAZING SITE!!!  Get tonnes of lists of books by levels.  Go to:  (on right menu)  Current Booklist Spreadsheets   Below is a list of lists!!!  Each document has a list of topical books and their levels.  So, if you're teaching Civil Rights, for example,  you can find easy to read books for the little ones AND the big ones smile  I printed off the list of fiction primary series to take with me to the library next visit.  Someone has done a lot of work here and I'm getting that nerdy sweaty palms thing just thinking about how much I'm going to use the info.  (BTW, I used their assessment tools this morning to determine where my son was at - easy to use....and I printed off their comprehension assessments, too...I'll be using it more in teaching though, rather than assessment...so much to discover on this site)

Current Classroom Libraries
A Special List of Mentor Texts.xls
Anthologies.xls
Biography Booklist.xls
Books Students Want On The Shelves Now.xls
Civil Rights Booklist.xls
Expository Nonfiction Booklist.xls
Fantasy Booklist.xls
Historical Fantasty Booklist.xls
Historical Fiction Booklist.xls
Multicultural Booklist.xls
Mystery Booklist.xls
Narrative Nonfiction Booklist.xls
Primary Big Books.xls
Primary Content Area Booklist.xls
Primary Fairy Tales and Folk Tales.xls
Primary Nonfiction.xls
Primary Series Books.xls
Primary_Character_Fiction.xls
Social Issues Booklist.xls
Spanish Books to Support Reading Units of Study.xls
Spanish Books to Support Writing Units of Study.xls
Spanish Leveled Libraries Booklist.xls

Krista G
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »

Thank you for posting this.  Wow doesn't even get close to what this really is.  This is a lot of someone's time.  What an amazing resource.  I love book lists and this is definitely getting bookmarked for future reference.

Can you explain the levels and the meanings?  I am not familiar with these.  It looks like they go A-Z?  They must represent a grade level?  I am not sure.

kizudo
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »

This will give you a better picture. http://readingandwritingproject.com/resources/assessments/benchmarks-for-student-progress.html   (from the same site)

It gives you a view of what classroom teachers shoot for.

Krista G
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »

Thank you.  That makes it very clear.

Mandabplus3
Global Moderator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:18:16 AM »

Ooh historical fantasy and historical fiction look like things my kids will love! Thank you! It took me a whole 3 minutes to determine that is their names for living books!  LOL
The sight is heavily Americanised but still definitely worth a look. Printing the list to take along to the library is a great idea. Being lazy I might just open the list on iPad while I have the library catalogue open in front of me and order them all for later pickup in groups of 10 or by topic..... It could take hours to find them all otherwise.
The levels AZ are clearly going to be too easy for all lout early readers, in fact those levels are too low for my non early readers too. But it gives a good idea on where to start from.

Korrale4kq
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »

I think the a-z correlates with the RAZ levels. Once they reach level Z they should be competent adult readers.

http://littlemanlogic.wordpress.com/

JJ: 5 years old.
Math:  CLE2, Singapore 2A, HOE, living math books.
Language Arts: CLE2
Reading: CLE2
Independent Reading: Half Magic, Boxcar Children, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
Writing: NANOWRIMO.
Science: BFSU, Peter Weatherall, lots of science books.
Americana: Liberty\'s Kids, Complete Book of American History, Story of Us.
kizudo
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »

Korrale4kq,
Do you know how RAZ levels relate to the Fountas & Pinnell levels?
Thanks!

Korrale4kq
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »

They are very similar... But now that I look it seems RAZ only goes to 5th grade. I thought it ended at middle school.

The books for the link above go all the way to 8th grade (or adult) reading level.

http://www.raz-kids.com/updates/raz_correlation_chart.pdf

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:40:07 PM by Korrale4kq » Logged

http://littlemanlogic.wordpress.com/

JJ: 5 years old.
Math:  CLE2, Singapore 2A, HOE, living math books.
Language Arts: CLE2
Reading: CLE2
Independent Reading: Half Magic, Boxcar Children, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
Writing: NANOWRIMO.
Science: BFSU, Peter Weatherall, lots of science books.
Americana: Liberty\'s Kids, Complete Book of American History, Story of Us.
Mandabplus3
Global Moderator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »

Thats why I think they are a little too easy. Th reality is that by 5th great levels should be gone and kids should be able to read at adult level. Please not e that adult level IS NOT university level! Adult level is just good basic reading and understanding so they should be able to read the newspaper and a recipe and understand most of what they read.
To extend a child beyond those levels you need to read old fashioned classics from the fairy tales up to the novels, or work up through the fantasy novels ( Harry potter to the hobbit to lord of the rings) basically it's a conscious selecting of books to increase reading comprehension, stamina and vocabulary. Raiding levels as such don't usually include this reading development because they consider a lower level as fluent enough to cope with what life throws at you.
Each reading system will end at the equivalent of level Z or (number 30 for PMs) at a slightly different age. Over here its age 12 or when they hit high school they want them finished by. Th reality is most get their by grade 5/6 a year or 2 early. My kids did it by age 7 and 8 and it looks like Jaykob might get there by age 6. They were not particularly early readers just dedicated.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:08:18 AM by Kezia » Logged

bella
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »

my tina is able to zoom through level z in razkids at age 7 of course it depends on the subject if she likes it or not . i find it too easy .viv

asnmdirteha
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »

RazKids is great for building the fundamental blocks for reading. My ESL students really learn from RazKids through the audios. However, I do agree that RazKids is less challenging compared to other websites I have used with my students. So far my favorite would have to be Beestar as they provide really great stories. My students are constantly challenged with the questions and it helps me as a teacher to see where their strengths/weaknesses are for reading comprehension.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 214667
  • Latest: sejal01
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online