Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Advice to help concentrate toddler on session!  (Read 22640 times)
Makeawish
Newborn

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2014, 02:02:17 AM »

hello everyone,

I neeed some advice and encouragement from you guys! my 15 month old likes LR when i tell her about reeading time, she concentrate as well but only in sessions that shows picture or video. She doesnot bother when it comes to pattern phonics or sight words dry . Same way, when a word comes in game session, she shows me whats that by acting out, but not pointing! (like when it ask for to point toward jump, she shows me how to jump but does not point to the word on screen). Is she really taking that words in by sight or just learning by hearing from me?

I am trying to read storybooks by taking her in my lap and reading it aloud, but she would just grab the book and start playing with it! i dont know how to make her sit and make her listen to what i read!

plz help me with this!i appreciate it! i would lovee to hear all stategies to make them concentrate on LR.

TeachingMyToddlers
Global Moderator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »

Let her watch the program during snack time in her high chair! Even as is, she is absorbing more than you think. smile

Proud Momma to DD 11/28/08 & DS 12/29/09, exactly 1 year, 1 month, and 1 day apart in age. Check out my youtube channel for BrillKids Discounts and to see my early learners in action! smile www.youtube.com/teachingmytoddlers
sahithya
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 05:44:10 AM »

She is just 15 months old, let her concentrate to watch programs or seeing pictures in books. For babies, Atleast 18 months to 24 months time would take to grasp something while you are reading.

Sukhoi
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:51:26 PM »

Let her watch the program during snack time in her high chair! Even as is, she is absorbing more than you think. smile

+1 this what we do, works perfectly

Wolfwind
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »

Honestly, I think the best thing to remember is that this is a totally normal phase at 15 months.  At least, both my girls went through it, and when I posted something very similar on this forum, that's the response I got.   tongue  So don't worry too much about it.  Her interest in being read to will come back.

But it is nice to know some tricks.  I third the recommendation to show it when she's occupied with eating or something else that keeps her still.  And don't worry if she doesn't look at the screen.  I always think about a story in a book about baby sign language; the mom was trying to show her daughter the sign for squirrel while the girl stared at a squirrel running around the park.  The daughter wouldn't look at her mom's hands at all.  But five minutes later, another squirrel showed up, and the daughter signed squirrel!  The mom had a friend with her, who looked at her and said, "Did she just learn that sign through her ear?" because her eyes had not looked at the mom's hands at all.  It comforts me that they can pick up things even when it looks distracted to us.

As for reading to her, drop back to shorter books with less words per page.  If necessary, go for the board books with one word: Ball. Cup. Toy. Doll.  See if you can get through it at high speed before she wants to play.  Or, give her one book to play with and hold another one to read.  Whenever she trades you books, start reading the other one.  Don't hesitate to abridge the story to get it done, flipping the pages very fast.  Just being exposed to the books is good, I think.

Full-time Mom to Andrea, born Oct 2010, Sara, born July 2012, Timothy, both June 2014, and Gideon, born November 2016.
Ernestine89
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »

Toddlers can be unpredictable. Their mood changes from time to time. Even I was going with same problem with my daughter. I decided to send her to Huntington Toddler Program. She learned so many things which I wanted. There are so programs they conduct which helps our kids  to co-ordinate and develop their self esteem.

Mum
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »

Parents having problems like Makeawish experienced could think about employing a toy to help, a toy who is absolutely crazy about words. Try a favourite stuffed toy or purchase a new one that you are certain your child will be excited to meet.

I had problems at one stage encouraging my son to be interested in Little Math, so I introduced him to a new hand puppet called "Numbers Duck" who loved numbers and got all silly when he played with red dots. The puppet was a yellow duck that actually had red dots on it (quite similar to this one - http://www.teddybeartreasures.com.au/product-duck-hand-puppet-4084.aspx).

If I recall correctly I first read about this type of strategy on DomanMom’s website.

It worked brilliantly. We made a special bed in a shoe box and Numbers Duck only woke up to play Little Math and the Doman Red Dot Cards. I would make a big deal of my son and I waking the puppet up to play math and then being very tired all of a sudden and having to get tucked up in bed again. It was so fun and easy to do math together once I found Numbers Duck.

Perhaps find a toy with a word or two on its tummy or paws.

Makeawish, I hope that you found a fun way to enjoy reading together again. Please let us know what worked.

The most important thing is not to worry about all of the different stages your child will go through, just have lots and lots of fun. The laughing will help and it certainly creates memories that are beautiful to look back on years down the track.  heart

Good luck and good night from Mum.

vvaneesa
Toddler

Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 01:52:45 AM »

This child is just 15mts old. There is no reason to expect this child to sit still for a certain amount of time. Most toddlers are always on the go. The only time they sit still is while in a car seat, sleeping or in a highchair while eating.

I am Only 2 year old, But I Can Read... Click here 👨‍👶🏽👩‍ www.teachachildtoreadfast.weebly.com 👨‍👶🏽👩‍  to watch an amazing video of a 2 year old child reading
GeniusWithFun games videos
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »

Best learning vidros for your kids https://youtu.be/q1bueytwaMY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 156
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 173