Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Current Topic Rating: ***
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: UPDATE: HELLO PAL now beta-testing! (or, "What We've Been Up To")  (Read 260126 times)
KL
The Architect
Administrator
Tween

I'm a Dad!

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:43:17 PM »

Dear all,

It's been a very long while since I've last written to you all, and I apologize for the long radio silence.  Better late than never, however, so let me give you all an update on what we've been up to all this while!

Two years ago, my family and I relocated to China (in a beautiful city called Hangzhou, near Shanghai), in order to explore business opportunities in China for BrillKids.

After some time, what became increasingly apparent to me were two things:

- The huge desire of Chinese people to learn English
   - The increasing desire of the rest of the world to learn Chinese

It wasn't long before I had an 'aha' moment and decided to try to address these two needs simultaneously.  After many iterations and reiterations of ideas, we began to work on a social learning app that would attempt to make it as easy as possible for:

- Chinese speakers to learn and practice English;
   - English-speakers to learn and practice Chinese;

...from and with each other!

And actually, not just English and Chinese, but all major languages including French, Japanese and Spanish (though we expect that English and Chinese would be the most sought-after overall).

We originally planned to make this a new BrillKids products aimed at children 6 and up, called "Little Pal" (borrowing the idea of pen pals), but as we were developing it, we decided to first launch an adult version first, which addresses a larger audience and in many ways makes it easier to do.

So now, after more than a year and a half of development, we are ready to announce to coming launch of our new app, Hello Pal!

What is Hello Pal?

In short, Hello Pal is the first-ever app that will allow you to talk to people from all over the world, in completely foreign languages, within just minutes!  

Here are the key features of version 1:

1. Social Messaging

On the surface, it will seem like a social messenger app like Whatsapp, where you can chat with your friends using text and audio messages.

2. Connecting with Foreign Language Partners

The first difference is that you'll be able to search for language partners all around the world according to criteria such as nationality, location, fluent languages, learning languages, etc.

3. Phrasebook Conversations

Most importantly, integrated into the chat messenger are phrasebooks which contain phrases that are commonly used in conversations.  

Let's say you've opened a chat window with a new pal called Alice, and you'd like to speak some Mandarin Chinese to her.  

Next, just do the following:

- Open the Chinese phrasebook
   - choose a phrase you want to say
   - listen to the guide audio
   - record your voice and send

And there - you've just spoken in Chinese to Alice!  

Can our kids use this?

Well, this app wasn't really designed for our little ones, and will not even be under BrillKids (it will be a completely separate branding and under a different company with different owners).  

Hello Pal was designed for adults and the phrases in the phrasebooks are therefore also geared towards what we anticipate adults would want to say when chatting with another adult.

This app also relies on translations to convey meaning (not pictures like with Little Reader), so depending on your child's reading level, it might be a little challenging navigate through the phrasebooks.

Having said that, I see no reason why our kids can't also use the app with our supervision.  Your child could easily be chatting in Japanese with Grandma with your supervision, for example.

I think this will do fine until such time as we get around to doing Little Pal which will be dedicated to kids and contain parental controls.

Beta Testing

We hope to start some limited beta testing soon and we would love for you all to join!  To participate, please join this Facebook group we've created for this purpose:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/648751111919030/

Please join the group and wait for news!  When the time comes to start the testing, we'll contact you through the FB group.

Please also LIKE our FB page at: www.facebook.com/hellopalchat

In the meantime, you can learn more about our app here: www.hellopal.com .

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Best regards,

KL

UPDATE - BETA HAS STARTED! See our Beta group on FB for more details!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:24:22 AM by KL » Logged

Mandabplus3
Global Moderator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »

This sounds fabulous! Congratulations on your new app, I hope it is an instant success. A very clever idea like this could make a huge difference to learning languages. I will chat to my big kids and see if they are interested smile

MarthaT
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:49:48 AM »

Sounds exciting

c4andy20
Infant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »

This is exactly what I've been looking for! We are learning Spanish, French, and Chinese. While it's been really easy to find people to speak Spanish and French with, Chinese has proven to be more challenging. I've been too afraid of just chatting on random boards because my Mandarin is not that great. Having a phrase book where I can  listen to and repeat sounds perfect.

cheerymom
Hellos to cheerful n busy moms !
Newborn

Seeking ways to nourish my little ones imagination !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:50 PM »

Great effort ! , I would say it as .Smart move as it blends with our trend of "app blooming" ! Eager to join and learn  thumbs up

Thanks to Brillkids Little Reader! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAvjwrPNcQ
Aeirbubbles
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »

This is very exciting! I can't wait to buy it already! I would love to see how Little Pal would work and it would be great for Little ones to be able to have friends across the globe as well! I love this idea!

KL
The Architect
Administrator
Tween

I'm a Dad!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »

Beta for Android has started! (iOS coming in 1-2 weeks).

Please join the beta FB group if you're interested in checking it out!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/648751111919030/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:24:38 AM by KL » Logged

Jaydeep Gajera
jds6855
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 07:58:51 PM »

Great Effort !  smile

Just_Mark
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »

This idea is brilliant.  Would it be possible to ask for update on how was it right now?  Will there be a version for kids?  It would be nice to introduce our little ones to other languages. clap

http://worldlandforms.com/landforms/volcano/ ★ World Landforms - Volcano★
https://www.prayerpray.com ★ Online Prayer Community ★
http://t4socialmedia.com ★ Social Media Management and Marketing ★
KL
The Architect
Administrator
Tween

I'm a Dad!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »

Hi Just_Mark!

At the moment, the app is listed as 18+, so it may not be ready just yet for a younger audience.  happy

But we will definitely update everyone once we make a child-friendly version!

Just_Mark
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »

That's a good news to look forward to.  Thank you KL for your reply.   yes

My son is going to start school this coming school year and my princess will be  doing the same next year.  Hopefully I can give them some activities involving languages while playing.  They are a big fan of Dora the Explorer.

http://worldlandforms.com/landforms/volcano/ ★ World Landforms - Volcano★
https://www.prayerpray.com ★ Online Prayer Community ★
http://t4socialmedia.com ★ Social Media Management and Marketing ★
hendry
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 10:13:50 AM »

The topic here discussed how to update hello pal now beta  luxury apartments in kochitesting I think I studied this topic in my academic syllabus. In the iterations and no iteration ideas the social learning app attempt is easy to understand the larger audience and in many ways makes it an easier way.

Kristy Murphy
Newborn

Assignment Writer at GoAssignmentHelp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 06:16:50 AM »

Very valuable information, it is not at all blogs that we find this, congratulations I was looking for something like that and found it here. Assignment Help Melbourne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 317
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 122