Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Learning/Teaching Chinese (non-native)  (Read 11383 times)
ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to get some input from anyone who can help. My daughter just turned 2, and we are hoping to teach her Chinese, but neither of us knows Chinese. At minimum, we would like to expose her to the language enough to where she develops "the ear" for the language and is able to speak fluidly. Ideally we would like her to learn to read as well. Is this feasible since neither of our families speak Chinese? Have any of you taught your children to speak, understand, read Chinese without knowing the language? And those of you who are native speakers, do you have any other tips or ideas? Or resources that come highly recommended that would be simple for us to follow? I would like for her to learn to read traditional Chinese, as it seems so beautiful, but if there aren't enough resources, simplified would be good too. I will be learning alongside of her  or trying to stay a step ahead.
Some background info: she currently communicates in Spanish, English, and ASL.
Any feedback is much appreciated!

Evelyn2108
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:52:58 AM »

That's awesome that you want to teach your daughter Chinese!  I'm sure she'll take to it like a fish to water, just like she did with reading in English.  smile

I'm very new to teaching my boy (18months) Chinese, but would be happy to share what we are doing.  He doesn't talk very well yet (in any language), but he does repeat words in Chinese.  He has read some Chinese characters, but in those cases he said the word in English.  Oh well, it's a start! smile  Considering I've learned so much Chinese myself from teaching him, I'm sure his nimble little brain is picking up a ton.  When he is older he will probably/hopefully  big grin start to show more of what he knows.

Ok, all that being said, here is what we are using so far:

Audio
Baby's First Words in Chinese.  He loves it, I love it.  I got it from audible and play it in the car.  I love it because it has lots of traditional Chinese songs, but it's interspersed with regular speaking and rhymes.  So it's great that it has both, versus just songs. 

Video
Little Reader Chinese
Baby Learns Chinese
Wink to Learn
Little Pim

I'm planning on buying some audiobooks, the Chinese tag pen, etc.. but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

I have a student who comes by once a week and plays with him speaking Chinese for 90minutes.  She's only been by about 5x so far, but I'm hoping this will make a big difference as he gets older.  When he is 3-ish I'll enroll him in some sort of Chinese class.  They have lots of those in my area and I've heard good feedback on this technique from other non-native speaking moms.

We are teaching simplified, but all the above resources are also available in traditional. 

ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »

Wow! That's so great that you have a student come by to play and talk with him in Chinese every week! That will definitely make a difference, as hearing a native speaker, in person vs just watching a video, is important for really learning a language. Maybe as he progresses, you can find him a playgroup with others who speak to their children in Chinese.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have Wink to Learn Spanish, and she used to really like it. Hopefully, she likes it in Chinese. I played Little Pim for her in Chinese last night, but I wasn't sure about the pinyin. Any thoughts on whether or not to introduce that yet? I will look into Baby Learns Chinese. I haven't come across that one yet. Of course, Little Reader Chinese!
I'm just concerned that I won't be able to read to her in Chinese like I do in English and Spanish, but I guess that's what they make audiobooks for!

Linda Simth
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:35:15 AM »

Have you asked the question on google - several options come up, including this
http://www.hanbridgemandarin.com/course/chinese-language-course/chinese-course-for-children

My daughters best friend is off to China in August for a month - she will be learning basic spoken Mandarin by attending a school every day for 3 weeks (she is already fluent in Russian, Polish, German and French!) She said that trying to learn written Chinese will be the next challenge!

ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:00:25 PM »

Just a quick update: I haven't implemented anything yet, but I think I'm going to start with the Pimsleur approach, myself, and branch out from there. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I've also found a Mandarin Chinese speaking play group nearby that we will probably try to join once we get things going so that she can be immersed in the language, in person. I've also requested Baby's First Words in Chinese through the inter library loan system. If they don't have it, I will make the purchase soon along with Wink to Learn. In the meantime, we will start with small video clips on youtube of simple things like colors, shapes, numbers, etc. I'm excited about this new learning adventure.

Evelyn2108
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 04:10:01 AM »

Glad to hear you're going for it !  smile

Ajphoun
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »

Hi ELEducation and all,

The suggestions so far are great, and ELEducation I especially love your idea of prioritizing learning some of the language yourself as a parent. That's the approach we're hoping to take with ASL and Gregg shorthand.  XD

I'm just starting out with EL, (DD @6wks) but I have a lot of experience learning Chinese and other languages as an adult, so I will go ahead and weigh in. My suggestion for learning Chinese with EL is a relatively low-key piece of low-hanging fruit:

Prioritize learning the "Chinese Radicals"!

This can be done super-simply using standard "bit" flashcards. There are 214 "Kangxi Radicals", but there are also sub-lists of the more frequent ones. The top 100 are super-high-yield, but the next 75 or so aren't bad either, and the last few might be kinda fun.

Some sources:
http://www.hackingchinese.com/kickstart-your-character-learning-with-the-100-most-common-radicals/
http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/radicals.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_radical

I starting learning Mandarin ~13yr ago in undergrad, and speak Chinese frequently with some family and friends. I am now very-conversent to the point of fluency on a narrow range of topics, although I really need to broaden my vocab and read more. 加油!

StevenBhardwaj
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 05:18:13 PM »

Oops, I made the previous post using my wife AyJy's account. She's fluent in Chinese. I, Steven, am the one who is conversent/learning Chinese.   

Hi ELEducation and all,

The suggestions so far are great, and ELEducation I especially love your idea of prioritizing learning some of the language yourself as a parent. That's the approach we're hoping to take with ASL and Gregg shorthand.  XD

I'm just starting out with EL, (DD @6wks) but I have a lot of experience learning Chinese and other languages as an adult, so I will go ahead and weigh in. My suggestion for learning Chinese with EL is a relatively low-key piece of low-hanging fruit:

Prioritize learning the "Chinese Radicals"!

This can be done super-simply using standard "bit" flashcards. There are 214 "Kangxi Radicals", but there are also sub-lists of the more frequent ones. The top 100 are super-high-yield, but the next 75 or so aren't bad either, and the last few might be kinda fun.

Some sources:
http://www.hackingchinese.com/kickstart-your-character-learning-with-the-100-most-common-radicals/
http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/radicals.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangxi_radical

I starting learning Mandarin ~13yr ago in undergrad, and speak Chinese frequently with some family and friends. I am now very-conversent to the point of fluency on a narrow range of topics, although I really need to broaden my vocab and read more. 加油!

ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »

Thanks for your input! It's quite helpful to hear from someone who learned Chinese as an adult as well. I appreciate your take on the topic, and I will be looking at the resources you provided. I can't wait to get started!

We also taught and are teaching our daughter ASL.  I started with just a few signs and kept adding more and more. At night, I would study ASL online at www.lifeprint.com, and the next day, I would teach her new signs and incorporate them throughout the day. We also reinforced with Signing Time. Once she had a big signing vocabulary, I took a couple of ASL classes to try to practice and learn more conversational skills so that I could pass that on to her as well. I wouldn't say I'm fluent, by any means, but I do my best to sign with her throughout the day.

Assignment Writing
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 05:51:00 PM »

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your work.You can really really helpful  information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to your next post.
college essay help
homework essay
online statistics homework help
thesis writing help
Airbnb swot analysis
complete course work for me
economics homework help
Walmart PESTLE analysis
<a herf="https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/research-paper-writing/">Research Papers[/url]
<a href= “https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/business-plan-writing/”> creating a business plan [/url]
pay for essay
academic essay
Dissertation Writing Services
<a herf="https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/research-paper-writing/">research paper writing help[/url]
pay for homework
assignment writing service
<a herf="https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/research-paper-writing/">Research Paper Writing[/url]
my assigment
<a href= “https://www.alphaassignmenthelp.com/essay-writing-service/”> best essay writing service[/url]
cheap essay writing service
online assignment help
my assignment help
best dissertation writing service
assignment writing help
assignment help
Dissertation Help Online

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 214667
  • Latest: sejal01
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online