Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone attempt FULL Doman program (reading, knowledge, math and exercise?)  (Read 34849 times)
thechilibuddy
Newborn

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »

Anyone here try to do all of Doman's program?

That's 5 reading sessions
10 knowledge sessions
5 math quantity lessons
3 equation lessons
2-3 exercise sessions (brachiation and passive/active movement

That's a lot of sessions in a day!

We have Chinese language and ASL on top of that as well....

How does any one do it? Suggestions please?

StevenBhardwaj
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:50 PM »

hi thechillibuddy and all,

i am also very interested in practical tricks and tips for fitting in Doman's suggested 30-plus learning-play sessions per day, especially for newborn-1y/o!

As parents  of a 2m/o, I think DW and I have a similar ambition for hi-frequency infant&parent learning-play sessions for the first year and a half. Or maybe that continues until whenever DD starts (shall we dream?) *independent* play and reading. We are also prepping ourselves for taking ASL seriously!

However, we have also found it difficult to reach the session frequencies suggested by IAHP/Doman across physical and stimulation domains.

Stomach reflux and our own sleep needs pushed us toward more supine/back time and less prone/tummy time. And we continue to succumb to enabling DD's addiction to bouncing with a parent on a "yoga ball", at the expense of prone pre-crawling practice.

And even when we only had a goal of 10 "fruitcamp" sessions a day, we still fell short of that, only achieving 6 or 7 sessions most days. And during these two month, we even had both parents at home.

Now that DW is going back to work, DD will probably get less parental face-time, but maybe the sessions will be better coordinated (by decree instead of by committee) allowing more sessions/day.

We just finished the 10 days of fruit described in Doman's "How Smart Is Your Baby" (unfortunately titled). We nicknamed it the "fruitcamp", because it uses the same fruit 10x/day, with a new fruit each day, for 10 days, like a military bootcamp. Also reminds me of "booting" up a computer, trying to effect an "Anne Sullivan" moment connecting language to reality.

Planning for a less-forgiving year-to-come of dozens of sessions each day, where missing too many sessions in a lopsided way might confuse the heck out of me. Ohboy.

I just prepped the first 50 word cards and DW put the 100 number cards in order. (I would use LR except that we're doing Gregg Shorthand as the written English script, and LR would require extra scanning effort.) I think LR would definitely make the Doman "stretch goal" of a thousand sessions each day more achievable, but I'm super excited about learning Gregg with DD.

I try to remind myself that the Doman Ubermensch-Supermom is not a reality even at IAHP. You can't do Suzuki violin AND multiple languages, and encyclopedic knowledge, AND olympic-prep triathlon training plus soccer and basketball. Something will be de-emphasized at some point. It's a palette of options and we need to remember to prioritize LO's spiritual, social, and cultural health and growth. And just like learning ASL before we teach it to LO, we need to be judicious in our EL committments especially if "compliance" means incrementally compromising our own support systems for spiritual, social, and physical health.

I should've been Glenn Doman for Halloween this year. #MissedOpportunities

StevenBhardwaj
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »

and isn't the doman reading Rx 15 sessions/day? 5 sets of 5 cards, 3 reps per set per day, reshuffle between each set, retire 1 card from each set per day.

thechilibuddy
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:41:37 AM »

Yea. That's more than I can handle.

I thought hard about it and in some ways Bits of Intelligence (BOI) sessions are not too diff from reading at this point when introducing items - show the picture and say the word (Image only) and reading, show the word only. I do our reading Word-Image instead so that LO has an clearer grasp of what the word means. So conflation/modification of both.

So I'm just going to start our program that way. we are at 2-3 BrillKids session a day using just 1 multi sensory lesson, 1 Bits of Intelligence/English flashcard session, 2-3 Chinese flashcard sessions and 2-3 ASL flashcard sessions at the moment. I still need to find another 2 sessions for BOI to get to 3 and find time to introduce the math program which will need me to find a minmum of 6 more sessions somehow - a total of SEVEN more sessions and this isn't the FULL program Doman recommended >.<

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:43:35 AM by thechilibuddy » Logged
kmum
Global Moderator
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

We have done a full neurodevelopmental program with our daughter. It included almost everything listed above as well as more physical activities, vestibular stimulation, eye exercises & more. Yes it is difficult to do however  it was a top priority & came before housework, yard work etc. Here are some tips to fit it in:

http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.ca/2014/02/getting-program-done.html?m=1

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:36:04 PM by kmum » Logged

Laura - proud Mom to my new reader with 47 chromosomes! http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com/
ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »

I think it's awesome that you're doing Chinese and ASL with your baby in addition to so many of the Doman recommended sessions!

I just wanted to mention that we also taught/are teaching our daughter ASL (in addition to Spanish and English and now French and Chinese), but we never did any ASL flashcard sessions. We just signed to her throughout the day. She started signing back a few words by 9-10 months and steadily increased. Her signing really took off after her first birthday, quickly reaching a signing vocabulary of 100 words and soon over 200. That might be one place where you could cut back sessions to make room for others. Just a suggestion...

kmum has a ton of great suggestions and info on her blog!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:24:39 PM by ELeducation » Logged
kmum
Global Moderator
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »

I admit that I feel I cheated a little when it came to sign language  happy  we used Baby Signing Time videos for a lot of it. This was how we kept K busy while riding in a rear facing car seat in the vehicle. It worked very well. She knew literally hundreds of signs - we lost track after about 325. The only downside was that she was so far ahead of us in her knowledge.

Laura - proud Mom to my new reader with 47 chromosomes! http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com/
ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 05:47:47 PM »

Kmum, we used Baby Signing Time and Signing Time once she started signing back to us as well! Then, we reinforced by signing as much as possible. I would also learn new signs on www.lifeprint.com and teach them to her the next day through play. We love BST and ST!!

thechilibuddy
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 05:39:19 AM »

I think it's awesome that you're doing Chinese and ASL with your baby in addition to so many of the Doman recommended sessions!

I just wanted to mention that we also taught/are teaching our daughter ASL (in addition to Spanish and English and now French and Chinese), but we never did any ASL flashcard sessions. We just signed to her throughout the day. She started signing back a few words by 9-10 months and steadily increased. Her signing really took off after her first birthday, quickly reaching a signing vocabulary of 100 words and soon over 200. That might be one place where you could cut back sessions to make room for others. Just a suggestion...

kmum has a ton of great suggestions and info on her blog!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...

We're using the Baby Sign Language flashcards with words that we probably wouldn't have context to introduce so early (we live in urban HK, so Horse has no meaning to her at 13mo until she's a little bit older to visit a petting zoo) But that is a good idea to switch the subject once we are done with the sign-language flash cards. Hopefully tha would coincide with when she is more verbal and we can use more Baby Signing Time DVDs with her.

Our schedule is currently tied to our routine, we do LR right after milk when we have a snuggle together, Chinese when she gets her diaper changed, Math when I get dressed/blanket time, ASL at meal time etc....

i do have another question for you - when you introduce a new language to your daughter, is that after you have completed one language curriculum and do you use those languages at home? eg. French/Spanish etc.?

ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »

Hi thechilibuddy  smile

As for languages, English and Spanish are spoken in our home, so I spoke to her in Spanish mostly and my husband spoke to her in English and Spanish from the beginning. She understands and speaks both equally well but reads more in English than Spanish.

We just recently started Chinese and French within days of each other. We use several resources for language learning, and I feel that as much immersion as possible is best. Although I do not speak Chinese, I take her to Chinese storytime when it's offered at our library, and I'm hoping to join a Chinese playgroup. I reinforce what we learn as much as I can. Same with French, although I have a much better grasp of the French language than Chinese, so I'm able to speak to her in French a bit.

I'm amazed at how she has taken so beautifully to learning these other two languages. She's progressing very well, and she is already recognizing some Mandarin Chinese characters. For your reference, she is 26 months old.

I imagine teaching an infant would be even more seamless. Looking back, I would have started these languages much sooner.

I'm not sure I answered your question!  LOL

Let me know...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:57:05 PM by ELeducation » Logged
ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »

I also wanted to ask...Do you mean that your daughter is 3 months old?  

If so, I understand what you mean about context and from what I understand...because of that you're just using those sessions as a way to pair signs with the written word? When my daughter was that young, we started signing to her only a few key signs like mommy, daddy, and milk. As the months went by, we introduced more and more signs that were relevant for her like hungry, dog, etc.

One thing I did with ASL and even just talking to my daughter was to show her the object. So, if I was saying and/or signing and/or showing the word "ball", I would show her a ball and maybe a picture of one. I bought lots of toy animals so that I could teach her animals. Then I would read her a book about animal sounds. We also took her to the zoo. She did well with this type of multisensory approach. You may already do or plan to do this, but I thought I'd share anyway in case anyone else can benefit from it.

Orsi26
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »

Hi thechilibuddy,

I did full Doman with 2 of my kids. It's not that complicated, it all depends on how you look at it! you definitely need to have a mindset for it, and adapt routines=make new habits - for me this was the most difficult, and for many parents this is where they "quit".
Preparing flashcards is essential. if you don't have the material, you can't do it. However, I think nowadays many sessions can be done on screen to save you time on material prep.
If you haven't started yet, I suggest you start with a less ambitious, slower program, and as you get used to it add more sessions. The math program can be set up many ways - to suit your needs better. There is no rush with any of it. Quality is more important as quantity - even Doman says so! everything you teach baby will need to be reviewed later - so teach stuff with a global mindset and decide on end goals even before starting. Many parents miss this part. So make sure why you are doing what you are doing. "it's good for my kid" isn't always good enough.
Many of the things you need to do with a baby - as for physical, you do anyways, because they are naturally fun. You just need to 'remember' now to do all with a certain frequency.
Session times approximately:
That's 5 reading sessions = 50 sec
10 knowledge sessions= 100 sec
5 math quantity lessons= let's say 50 sec (don't really know how many cards you want to show)
3 equation lessons= 30 sec
2-3 exercise sessions (brachiation and passive/active movement) = 15-20 minutes depending what you do - can go up to 50 minutes.
So, altogether about let's say 25 minutes? but let's double that, so 1 hour?
I did 2 languages. It's all about how organized you chose to be. And yes, it'll probably take most of the day.
I love the Doman program it is very good for kids, but you do need more for healthy development. Sensory stimulation and from year 2.5-3 on a more practical approach proved to be essential in my experience. Also, adding problem solving early on (I've just talked with a mom, her lo is 11 months and was ready for problem solving probably at least 2 months ago - but she didn't know)
If you need more help to set up your daily routines and planning and adding the sessions just PM me. smile
You're awesome! All the best!

StevenBhardwaj
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »

Hi all,

Great to hear that it can be done! So the issue for us isn't so much the aggregate time it takes to review the cards with our 3m/o, 13-lb LO... but rather the 15min spacing is the tough part!

We've cut down from the 5 sets of 5 cards, to 3 sets of 5 cards. So that's 3 sets x 3 reps = 9 reading words sessions per day. We're also attempting a physical program, and red dot cards. So that's 6 dot-card sessions per day, and a combo of short crawling sessions and miscellaneous "vestibular" rough-housing on the bed.

She's addicted to yoga-ball bouncing and thus has a strong core, and she can support her weight standing pretty well when I prop her up, but no recognizable crawling yet. She's on a routine of 3oz pumped milk, which tends to rotate at about 2 hours on average. (After 3oz she rejects additional milk more often than not.)

The issue is, it seems I can't give her flash cards when she's hungry, sleepy, during the ~10m reflux danger period after feeding, or when she really just wants to bounce on the yoga-ball or otherwise rough-house. And the reading sessions are supposed to be spaced at minimum 15min, right? I have been doing reading and math back-to-back, so the reading is the bottleneck.

All that usually cuts it down to 2 or 3 reading sessions *maximum* in each ~2-hour rotation. Fewer if I want breakfast or have some other tasks...  Anyways, that's why I cut the reading sessions down to 9 instead of 15: it often takes me up to six or more feeding rotations to even get the 9 reading sessions done, and that's most of the day.

We have a big stack of second-hand "bits"... but it's looking at me with a baleful eye these days... Wink

Any suggestions folks might have about how to fit more in? Orsi26, does this kind of sessions-per-feeding-cycle breakdown seem typical at this age? Does it get easier as feeding cycles consolidate into fewer feedings per day? (Is there light at the end of the infant tunnel?? LOL)

Cheers,
Steven

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 214667
  • Latest: sejal01
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 148
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online