Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Important Announcement Regarding License Keys and Usage of BrillKids Products  (Read 1494669 times)
KL
The Architect
Administrator
Tween

I'm a Dad!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »

Dear BrillKids members and friends,

I'm KL Wong, Founder of BrillKids.

It's been 8 years since we started BrillKids, and I'm very grateful to see parents from all over the world engaging in early learning and to see that our products played a role in that.

When we first launched Little Reader in 2008, we discussed internally how the license key system should work, and in particular how many computers a person would be allowed to install it on. Even though many other software makers only allowed one, we decided to allow for two installations, as we felt that many parents would sometimes want to install it on both the desktop and laptop, or on both parents' computers.

Furthermore, we recognized that people often upgrade computers, so we chose to allow users to 'move' their licenses from computer to computer, and doing this up to 5 times.

In making this policy, we have always made it clear that licenses are PERSONAL to each user and may not be transferred or shared, or installed on more than 2 computers at the same time.

Sadly, our license key policy has been abused, and this abuse has been increasing recently. Even sadder, we see that some members have actively encouraged this abuse. Even though I believe that this represents a small minority of our users worldwide, it has nevertheless come to a point where we've felt the need to take more concrete action against this abuse.

I would therefore like to announce the following:

1. License keys issued from now onwards will only be allowed to be moved between computers up to twice, instead of five times.

2. Our terms of license will now only guarantee installation on ONE computer instead of two. However, we will continue to allow installation on up to two computers for the time-being, in the hope that the abuse of this policy will change for the better. If not, we will implement this in actuality without further notice.

3. We want to remind everyone that any user who we have reason to believe is violating our license terms will be liable to have the license key suspended or revoked, and the member account terminated without warning. Affiliates who participate in such violations will also risk losing their affiliate commissions.

We have always tried our best to be lenient and to assume the best of others. I believe we have done so for all these years. I therefore find it regrettable that we've had to take the above action, and that I've had to write this announcement. I'm hoping that after this I will never again have to address this issue or take any further action.

Thank you for your patience in reading the above, especially the vast majority of you who have 'played nice'. Most of all, thank you for your understanding and continued support!

Yours,

KL Wong
Founder, BrillKids

Lillie5
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »

Dear KL Wong,

Thank you for the awesome BrillKids Math Curriculum!  It is awesome.  My daughter so far loves it:).

I am one of the "nice gals" who has been limited in the update of computers so I have had the Little Math curriculum for a looong time.  I used it with my middle son (great at math) and I would love to use it with my 2 year old daughter, but I am having trouble connecting with the server when I download the license key so I cannot download past the 10th lesson.  This may be the 2nd or 3rd computer to enter the license key since we've had the curriculum. 

I have contacted technological support already, but I thought maybe this was related to what you were saying. 

Sincerely,
Jen Lillie

MarthaT
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:48:15 PM »

This is definitely understood. Thank you for wonderful program.

linzy
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:28:24 PM »

It would be great if after a certain number of years you got an additional ability to move your license to account for the normal need to upgrade to a new computer? I have been using Little reader/math/musician/French since the beginning (was even an original Beta tester) and want to continue to use it for our new baby, but am worried that with normal computer upgrades we will not be able to use it through all our kids. 

Our early education blog: rogueed.blogspot.com
Mae_Jakob_Ka
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:13 AM »

Finally! I will spread the news.

Brillkids Thailand: http://www.brillkidsthailand.com
ข้อมูลการสอนเด็ก: http://www.homeschoolthailand.com

Mae_Jakob_Ka
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »

I have one question.
Does the numbers of license key removal affect the previous users who bought the license before March 22?

Thanks.

Brillkids Thailand: http://www.brillkidsthailand.com
ข้อมูลการสอนเด็ก: http://www.homeschoolthailand.com

Lappy
Mod Mom
Administrator
Tween

If the world is night, shine my life like a light.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:54:06 AM »

@Mae_Jakob_Ka

This won't be affecting users who have purchased a while back. It's only applicable to all the recent license keys generated.  closedeyes  We were very sad to have had to impose this.

@Lillie5

Your license key hasn't been limited at all.  happy  But since you are an old purchaser, please do not use your old CD to install Little Math - that may contain a very old version of the software which is no longer compatible with our servers.
All you need to do is to install Little Math from your account, and then click on the license key from your account to redownload the curriculum.

linzy
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:10:29 AM »

Thanks Lappy that answers my question.

Our early education blog: rogueed.blogspot.com
Jake
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »

Hi lappy ,i am reading this post about to install circium on differt coputers ,is it possible to install it on i pad ,as i am using ipad now for my kid .i have been a member since 2008 .thanks

Skylark
Global Moderator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:58 AM »

Hi Jake,

In order to use Little Reader Curriculum on iPad, you will need to have  iAcess for Little Reader Touch, then you will be ableto use your LR curriculum both on computer and on your Ipad. You can install Little Reader Touch on 3 different devices.

Hope it helps.

http://livingwithkids.rocks Proud mommy of 3 early learners!
Jake
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

Can you guide me and tell me what to do to access readertouch on my ipad please .

Kyles Mom
Preschooler

Trying to bring up Kyle as a stranger!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 06:52:41 AM »

Hi all...

I started using little reader and little math for my oldest son 7yrs ago. I have never shared my license with anyone but my comp broke and had to reinstall it a few times. I recently had such issue and didnt get to use for a long period and when I reinstalled I am having issues and now I do not know what to do next. Please help me as my DD is asking for little reader.

Kezia
Administrator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »

Hi @Jake, to get the reading lessons on your iPad, please do the following:

1. Buy iAccess (if you didn't buy it yet): https://user.brillkids.com/onlinestore/lrt-iaccess.php
2. Install the "Little Reader Touch" app in your iPad: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/little-reader-touch/id467596498?mt=8
3. Follow the steps here to download your lessons in the app: http://support.brillkids.com/entries/21098491-how-to-install-and-play-courses-on-little-reader-touch

Hi @Kyles Mom, please write to us at support(@)brillkids(dot)com so we can sort out your activation issue for you.  smile

Rozy Cera
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 11:26:32 AM »

I recently got a child move in with me. He is 2 years 5 months. Can he benefit from this? If so should I start him off with day 1? He already counts 1 - 100

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:42:20 AM by Kezia » Logged
mario
Proud father of two boys
Toddler

Proud father of two boys

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »

I understand how hard this decision was. I'll give here my opinion. Maybe when LR was first launched we could not trust we would have Internet connection 100% of the time. Nowadays most platforms are coming as SaaS (Software as a service) and therefore they require Internet connection all the time. When people pay for a subscription they are expecting to use it on one device per time. But when people buy the license, they expect it to be their investment and use it whenever they can for whatever reason. Maybe they had to restore the PC to factory settings, maybe they wanted to do full format on the same PC and from time to time people do change their machines.

Steam, a platform for games, allows you to download the games you bought on as many devices you want, but it will allow you to use on only one device per time and requires Internet for that. It could be a solution for LR and other BK products. This is my personal opinion.

For me, as I trusted, paid and really loved the BK products, investing almost $500, I expect to use it as much as I can with my own kids, no matter if I had to change a computer or not. Now that I'm using with my second child I came to this topic and personally I don't feel like honest paying users should be limited due users illegally using the software as today there are better ways to protect the software.

Mario
http://marioishikawa.com/
http://4mysunshine.com/
The place to discover what is trending for your children\'s development.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 214697
  • Latest: Kaoricom
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online