Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Our 4.5 y/o has qualified for MENSA!  (Read 30868 times)
mrseddy
Newborn

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:27 AM »

As a prerequisite for Kindergarten at a private school close to our home (where our son is currently in pre-K), the WPPSI-IV is mandated.  Otherwise, we would not have had a reason to test our son.  We were very surprised at his IQ - I think we expected above average but didn't expect the score he achieved.  I say this because we all have criteria we think defines a "very smart" person or a "gifted" person.  But they truly are varietal! Sure the test validated all the early learning we've done with him and in fact, has motivated me to keep going with him and our younger two.  I can't tell you how many times I threw my hands up and thought "are they really learning anything?".  His processing speed is different.  He internalizes his thoughts so he may not spit answers out right away.  As I now have learned, he's taking those thoughts a step or two further.  Testing him has brought the EL process to a full circle for me and has filled in so many questions and holes.  I'm glad we did it and I would feel the same way even if he scored differently.

We found BK and Doman when my son was 2.5 y/o - so later than most.  But once I discovered it, I dove right in.  My son showed interests and a focus that was different than his peers but I believe discovering Doman and proactively initiating an EL mindset maximized his potential...thus far smile  I attended the IAHP conference which was inspirational to say the least; set up a home brachiation ladder, focused on a loosely-based physical program, flashed physical and BK BITs and words, incorporated Marshamallow Math, Right Start math (it's still our spine), Aloha abacus, piano lessons, foreign language classes and read lots and lots of books.  It might sound overwhelming and believe me initially it was.  But once all was set in place it has become like second nature and certainly teaching the younger two has felt much less like work -- and I've relaxed about it!!  Sometimes I think I'm not doing enough but I realize it's because the leg work has already been done.   So, hang in there!!  It all has a purpose and makes sense somehow.  Also, I wanted to give my perspective that I strongly believe the importance lies not so much on the retention of information (as in the BITs), but on developing the love of learning and fostering an enriching environment.  The act of flashing cards stimulates the brain and that's the point - but don't be hung up on whether they KNOW the information because all of it is serving a purpose. I think one day, when the topic is touched upon, the information may come easily to them or seem familiar or be easier to understand -- because the flashing has done its job. It helps with logic and puzzle/problem solving, etc.

It's been a while since I've been active on this forum. I hope everyone is doing well!

Skylark
Global Moderator
Tween

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:58:29 AM »

Dear Mrseddy,

so nice to see you back with such an amazing report! Congratulations!

I totally agree with your observations on fostering the love of learning vs just focusing on immediate results. That is what I believe is true treasure of early learning, at least that is how it worked for us.

Congratulations once more and thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us here!

http://livingwithkids.rocks Proud mommy of 3 early learners!
Evelyn2108
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 05:34:17 AM »

That is so wonderful!  Thank you for sharing.  I recall reading your old posts about the Doman program and was so appreciative at the time that you shared so much detail about your experience.  

I'm wondering, you started the physical program when your son was 2.5?  What did that look like? Did you get him running a mile, etc...? I have a 22mo and I just can't imagine him doing that.   I can barely get him to walk (can walk, but prefers to be carried much of the time), and trust me, I've tried.  

He was a "typical" north american baby in terms of exercise until about 9mo.  At that point I discovered EL and really focused on letting him move and ditching the stroller.  However, I don't feel like we've seen much improvement...

mrseddy
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:30:42 AM »

Thank you Skylark and Evelyn2108!

Evelyn2108, I didn't implement a physical program until my eldest was almost 3.5 - just after the IAHP seminar.  Even then it was very loosely-based.  We got a hold of a brachiation ladder and he learned to brachiate -- first by simply hanging and then eventually working his way to brachiating.  We did organized and unorganized sports, some drills (forward rolls, etc.), and my husband would take him and our middle son to the gym to run around the track for fun.  But nothing was timed or measured.  We always kept it light-hearted.  Looking back, prior to the seminar we did do a fair share of physical activities with him including swimming with him 1-2x a week, playing tag a lot, letting him run around the park and teaching him to ride a bike.  So we weren't sedentary but we certainly weren't following the program exactly.  Plus, we live in the midwest and our winters are looooooong.  We discovered Doman when my middle one was 12 months (oldest one was 2.5 y/o) and I made sure he wasn't contained in a stroller, pack n play, etc. either.  He is very physically adept and I think it has a lot to do with trying to keep up with his brother.  My eldest never liked running either, until we started making it a game (playing chase, tag, etc.)  Now, he understands that running is part of being healthy and "getting stronger" smile  I noticed a HUGE improvement in his penmanship once we integrated the brachiation ladder.  That still sticks out for me.  I implemented Doman with my youngest from day one and she showed remarkable milestone achievements but when it came to walking, all three of them walked at the same age smile

ELeducation
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »

Wow, mrseddy! Congratulations smile  Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.  It's always nice to hear updates from everyone.

Terry Yang
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:31 AM »

Good! Thanks for your sharing  smile

Bemi
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »

Hi mrseddy, I was wondering how did you implement the aloha abacus program? Did you go to classes or which resources did you use? Do you think you can share some links?
And in regards to the right start program, did you buy the materials and the program A (I found this link, is this correct? http://store.rightstartmath.com/rightstart-mathematics-level-a-second-edition-book-bundle/   )?

Thanks in advance for your help. My first DD is 3.5 yo and my youngest one is 1.5.

mrseddy
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:14:38 AM »

Hi Bemi! Sorry for the delay in responding! I started off my son in right start level A and he is almost done with level B although admittedly, we have had less time to focus on it so we are moving slower than we did with level A.  I took him to Aloha math for an assessment when he was 4 and because he could sit and focus for long periods of time, they were willing to work with him! I didn't do any soroban practice at home other than showing him videos on youtube. I think Right Start really helped lay the foundation - truly, I am so happy I found out about it on this forum!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 214713
  • Latest: JesseDee
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 121
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online