Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is walking good during first days of pregnancy?  (Read 1550069 times)
rizoo
Newborn

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »

i just want to know that walking is good or not during first days of my pregnancy.
 some people are saying that walking is not good during first days.

nhockaday
Forum Moderator
Global Moderator
Tween

I'm Gabriel's mommy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »

Walking is good at any stage of pregnancy. It is important that you get some exercise, and walking is a very good, easy way to do it.

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

Questers
Toddler

To teach is to learn twice!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »

Walking is good, provided you don't exert yourselves too much. See to it that you don't get any palpitations. If you start feeling uncomfortable, stop and take some rest immediately.

"Learning is like rowing upstream, not to advance is to drop back."

baby
marimari
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »

Walking, hidrogymnastic is always good during the pregnancy the only thing you have to do is maintain your doctor´s approval. soft sports, without impact is good to maintain the weight, so that, after pregnance we want to be pretty again...

marimari
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »

Just completing...

It is important to keep fit and active during your pregnancy.  It helps you to deal with the body changes that occur and prepares your body for labour and birth. But, exercise should be taken with care and should be low-impact and non-contact. Particularly suitable forms of exercise are: yoga , pilates , low-impact aerobics , swimming & aqua-aerobics , walking .

rixu
Moderators
School Age

early education is the best investment

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »

walking is very important in any stage of pregnancy as it is a way of exercise. and here is some thing important to know

First Trimester Pregnancy Concerns

There are many different things that a woman should be concerned with during the first trimester of pregnancy. The fact of the matter is that the first trimester of pregnancy is perhaps the most critical time of pregnancy, and it is the time when concerns that threaten the life or the health of the baby or the mother are likely to arise.

One of the biggest first trimester pregnancy concerns has to be the concern about miscarriage. While miscarriage can certainly occur later on in pregnancy, the vast majority of miscarriages occur during the first trimester of pregnancy. In fact, as your pregnancy continues to advance, your risks of needing to be concerned about having a miscarriage decrease proportionately. While it is estimated that as many of 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, less than 1% of pregnancies end in the death of the baby after the 20th week of pregnancy. In fact, many miscarriages even occur before a woman knows that she is pregnant. While the causes of miscarriage can vary greatly, the fact of the matter is that many miscarriages occur without ever knowing what the cause might be. We do know that some things, such as stopping smoking, may be able to reduce the concern about miscarriage during the first trimester of pregnancy, as well as throughout the rest of pregnancy.

Pre-eclampsia, which is also known as pregnancy-induced hypertension, is another important concern in the first trimester and throughout pregnancy. Pre-eclampsia refers to pregnancy-induced hypertension. Symptoms of preeclampsia include high blood pressure, as well as protein in the urine and fluid retention. However, the good news is that, generally, preeclampsia occurs in the latter part of pregnancy.

Another concern during the early part of the first trimester of pregnancy is the concern of an ectopic pregnancy. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized egg implants somewhere other than on the inside of the womb. This is the most common cause of maternal death during the first trimester. It is not always clear why an ectopic pregnancy occurs. Some research suggests that they may be related to problems with the fallopian tubes that have been caused by infections like STDs. If an ectopic pregnancy is detected early, as it is in nine out of ten cases, the mother will be fine and can go on to have a successful subsequent pregnancy.

If you believe you may be at risk for any of these concerns, it is important that you discuss your concerns with your health care provider as soon into your first trimester of pregnancy as you can.

let us teach and see the difference
mtb999
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:28:58 AM »

Walking is good throughout pregnancy if you have no other medical conditions.  If you are taking up exercise for the first time during your pregnancy you should speak to your physician.  It's important to monitor your heart rate and make sure it doesn't go too high.  If you have been previously exercising it's would be quite safe to continue to do so.  I used a heart rate monitor when I ran and played sports - until I had problems with my sacro-iliac joint mid pregnancy.  My OBGYN told me to stop running but encouraged me to walk, do yoga for pregnancy classes and aqua-aerobics for pregnancy run by physiotherapists to keep my fitness up.

There've been a few studies which have shown that moderate intensity exercise doesn't affect the fetus.  There may be an association with increased birth weight with exercise.
The only thing is that you shouldn't exercise so hard that your heart rate goes above 140 bpm and there are definite studies which have shown that women with body high temperatures (such febrile illnesses) during pregnancy having babies with congenital defects.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

nohayo
Moderators
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »

I would say avoid exerting effort the first 3 months from personal experience...  I went about my days normally at first when I didn't know I was pregnant yet, but then by the end of the first month there was slight blood spotting .... so for the next two months I didn't exercise or do any extra effort at all...

It might not be applicable to everyone, but I would say don't do walking as an exercise until you start your 2nd trimester...

marimari
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »

Well, for you to be unworried you must go to your doctor mainly because we are talking about your new baby and it is marvelous, you can learn how to take care of him since your belly. You´ll notice that even without seeing him we love so much and get imaging how he´ll look like!!! Enjoy it!!!

mtb999
Toddler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

nohayo - it's unlikely that whatever you were doing caused the spotting - spotting is quite not un-common during the first trimester but you certainly did the right thing by looking after yourself.

I agree with marimari - for anyone who wants to embark on exercise or is wondering if they can continue with their current exercise regime you should check with your physician as to what they recommend for you!!

zaku
Preschooler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:52:38 AM »

Whether you just found out you're pregnant, or you're just about to give birth, your feet can be the best fitness equipment around. That's because walking is something you can safely do right up until you deliver, and you don't need to belong to a gym.

"Walking is an ideal activity during pregnancy because it doesn't stress your body in any way that's unfamiliar," says Mark Fenton, MS, a former competitive race walker and co-author of Walking Through Pregnancy and Beyond: How Expectant Moms Can Walk Through a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy and First Year.

The latest research shows that regular exercise during pregnancy strengthens women's bodies to help them withstand the rigors of pregnancy, and helps reduce women's risk of developing two of the most dangerous illnesses associated with pregnancy: gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia.

According to an article in American Family Physican, exercise may also help you sleep better, shorten your labor, and result in fewer medical interventions during delivery. If those aren't enough reasons to ask your physician about a prenatal walking program, consider that many women say exercising reduces the aches and pains associated with pregnancy, and boosts their energy levels and self-esteem.

If i didn't exercise before I became pregnant, can I still walk?

Yes, walking is actually an ideal fitness activity. If your pregnancy is progressing normally, and your doctor or midwife doesn't object, there's no reason you can't start a moderate walking routine. In fact, if your pregnancy is not considered high-risk, your physician will probably encourage you to exercise. However, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:

•Consistency is more important than intensity. Your walking workouts don't have to be vigorous, although they should be regular (at least three times a week), rather than sporadic. This isn't a time you should train hard, emphasizes Fenton. The goal should be to maintain a fitness level you feel good about, so you can withstand labor and recover from childbirth more quickly.
•You can stay fit and still take it easy. If you exercised regularly before your pregnancy, resist the urge to compare yourself to how fit you used to be. Who cares if you walk half the distance that you usually do? If you walk on a treadmill, forget about the readout on the computer. Exercise during pregnancy isn't a competition! Remember that you're supporting two cardiovascular systems now, and it's natural to tire more quickly than you did

Besides paying a little more attention to where you're going so you don't lose your balance, the  is to protect your back. Even during the early weeks of pregnancy when weight gain and a changing center of gravity aren't issues yet, pay attention to your posture: Keep your chin parallel to the ground, but don't jut your chin out or stare at your feet, either. Keep your eyes forward and your shoulders back.

Choose shoes that are meant for walking, rather than running. Walking shoes provide the support you need so that your feet don't turn inward or outward excessively. Make sure your shoes fit well: They shouldn't feel too tight or rub your ankles or toes. As your pregnancy progresses and you gain weight, you may be more comfortable in light hiking shoes. Plus, as your baby grows, your center of gravity changes, which can affect your balance. Light hiking shoes may help you keep your balance on uneven ground because they provide more traction.

waterdreamer
Global Moderator
School Age

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 03:05:33 AM »

Unless your doctor says otherwise, I see no harm in walking, it will keep you healthy, and a healthy mommy=healthy baby smile Best of luck

http://earlylearningmom.com/

Mother to two boys June 2005 and May 2012.
urbandad
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »

Me and my wife love to travel and dance; during the first two trimesters of pregnancy we still did all these things (although at a slower pace). Three hours after delivery (when the epidural has worn off), she was still very alert, and could even begin to walk.

butterfly320
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »

Walking is great exercise. You may have overtrained some muscles in your first session. You may have tried to go at your pre-pregnancy pace. In the second half of pregnancy, the additional 50 percent blood volume and 32 percent increase in respiration will allow you to reach your target heart rate zone with less effort. Listen to your body and use perceived exertion to monitor your intensity.

masrawy
Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »

Sure moderate walking is good once I know that I'm pregnant my doctor told me to walk 5 to 10 minutes everyday

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Recent Threads

by newassignmentau, September 29, 2023, 09:52:09 AM
by jasminfernandes, August 18, 2023, 05:42:02 AM
by Annasprachzentrum, August 02, 2023, 08:27:26 PM
by Brileydavis, February 07, 2023, 07:31:40 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 12:01:12 PM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:26:28 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 11:02:35 AM
by justin robinson, January 18, 2023, 09:45:06 AM
by Thepharmacity, January 04, 2023, 06:12:34 AM
by Sara Sebastian, December 20, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
by Kays1s, December 05, 2022, 02:02:24 AM
by ashokrawat1256, November 11, 2022, 04:54:21 AM
by farnanwilliam, October 22, 2022, 04:12:41 AM
by berryjohnson, February 05, 2020, 12:41:49 PM
Page: 1/4  

Recently Added Files

tamil - months by BhavaniJothi, Dec. 05, 2019
More Shapes - More shapes not originally included in L... by Kballent, Oct. 23, 2019
test1 - test by SSbei, Sep. 08, 2019
Purple Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Green Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Yellow Foods - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Orange - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Red Food - I made some lessons with colored food f... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
White Foods - As part of Color Themes I made some less... by Kballent, Aug. 07, 2019
Fruits & veggies mascots - This is Polish \"must have\" mascots :) ... by Agnole, Feb. 24, 2018
Page: 1/3  

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 214667
  • Latest: sejal01
Stats
  • Total Posts: 110526
  • Total Topics: 19136
  • Online Today: 211
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (January 22, 2020, 12:09:49 AM)
Users Online